Meet the Earth Day Event Speakers!
Join us on Earth Day April 22 starting at 7pm ET for a diverse panel of community leaders who will share on topics related to environmental education, environmental justice and sustainability. After the speakers share, we will have a Q&A and a casual conversation space. We can discuss questions arising from what the speakers shared and film Climate Emergency: Feedback Loops. We encourage attendees to share what they are doing in their communities.
We are thrilled to announce the speakers for the upcoming event, more information and speakers will be added to the event website page as the event gets closer.
- Carlos Chiver Jassan will speak about the regenerative work he is doing in México City and Montessori Everywhere’s The Earth Project
- Judith Cunningham will share about her work with Montesssori Model UN and upcoming Climate Summit and will be joined by Marilú Mejía-López. Marilú is a Montessori climate activist who developed two projects for the Youth Impact Forum which she will share
- Dallas Nelson is the Director of the Lakota Language & Education Initiative at the Thunder Valley Community Development Corporation on the Pine Ridge Reservation. He will share what they are doing around sustainability and environmental education.
- Dorothy Lerma & Stephanie Becerra are lead guides at Siembra Montessori and will share information about their medicinal herb garden and how they’ve kept the children connected to the land during this difficult year where physically being outside together is not always possible.
- Maritza Darling-Ramos is a Community Organizer with the Southeast Youth Alliance, a grassroots community organization located on the Southeast side of Chicago.
- Arielle King is a Maryland-based 23-year-old environmental justice and anti-racism advocate.
Click here to learn more and register for the free event!
Environmental Education Resources
We hope you’ve enjoyed the resources provided to spark some Environmental Education ideas! We are excited to share some updates as we all prepare to celebrate Earth Day on April 22:
- Check out the Environmental Education Resource Library for more resources!
- Click here to view the recording for the Administrators Session held this Wednesday, April 7. Thank you to our panelists!
Below are the Resources Highlighted by the 4/7 Session Panelists:
- Cosmic Education in the School Garden by Sarah Kozicki from the 2018 AMI/USA Fall Journal
- St. Croix Montessori School’s Environmental Education program
- Centennial Montessori – Independent School Example of Outdoor Learning from the Environmental Literacy and Sustainability Initiative.
- Earth’s 10 Commandments
- Similarities between Environmental Education and Montessori
- No-Waste Lunch Guidelines
- Developing an Environmental Ethic
- Bio-Regional Quiz
- Environmental Education Resources
- Encourage your students and/or children at home to submit a project to Montessori Everywhere’s three-month Earth Day celebration culminating in September 2021. Kids can connect with others around the world working on a similar project in their community.
- Have your school or classroom join Earth Day Network (EDN)’s “Three Days of Climate Action” April 20-22, 2021. If you don’t want to wait until April 20, EDN has curated a list of actions you can take right now. If your school already has something planned, you can register your 2021 event here.
- Watch the film Climate Emergency: Feedback Loops leading up to Earth Day 2021.