Montessori Upper Elementary Guide
Shining Stars Montessori Academy
MONTESSORI LEAD GUIDE UPPER ELEMENTARY
Grades 4 – 6
School Year: 2021/22
We are seeking a Montessori certified and experienced Lead Guide(s) at the Upper Elementary level to join our dynamic and expanding staff for the 2021-2022 school year. The right candidate should possess maturity, dedication, high integrity, good judgment, ability to self-reflect as a member of the teaching staff, and the courage to grow as a teacher leader. We seek individuals with a clear understanding of Montessori ideals, deep knowledge of the development of children, classroom management and communication skills that nurture self-discipline, order, and confidence in young students. We can offer you a rewarding experience in a growing and diverse Montessori school in the nation’s capital.
This is a full-time and benefited position. Hours are typically Monday – Friday from 7:45 am – 4:30 pm, with some weekend and evening activities.
Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
● Understand and promote the Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS vision, mission, and goals to students, parents, and community
● Develop and administer an authentic Montessori Upper Elementary curriculum and assessments consistent with the Montessori Method and aligned with the Montessori Learning Standards and District of Columbia Common Core State Standards
● Work with a Co-Guide to present Montessori lessons, plan ‘going out’ expeditions for students
● Attend Montessori Model UN with Upper Elementary students and plan 6th-grade end of school year Study Trip
● Conduct ongoing observations assessments of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student needs, including for students with special needs and/or English Language Learners
● Lead individual and small group instruction as needed
● Work with the community of students, teachers, parents and administrators, in articulating and maintaining the integrity and scope of the Montessori Method
● Develop and prepare the Montessori classroom environment, materials, and lessons to meet the students’ needs and interests.
● Present consistent individual and group lessons to the students and supporting each child’s socio-emotional and academic progress and learning success
● Record observations of student work on a daily basis to check for student understanding, progress and achievement.
● Manage and document student attendance on a daily basis.
● Participate in ongoing professional development, recommended conferences, training programs, SSMA in-service and/or PD workshops, courses, and other areas of professional growth.
● Administer standardized tests in accordance with District of Columbia and Public Charter School Board assessment requirements
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Elementary Education or a related discipline is required; Master’s Degree preferred.
● Montessori Teacher Education Program certification/Diploma in Elementary
Education Prior experience in a Montessori) classroom environment is required
● Teacher license or certification (or eligibility to receive) in K-8 or K-12 education is
● Prior experience working in a diverse student and adult community
● Praxis II certification and passing scores preferred
● Spanish or French language fluency a plus