LOWER ELEMENTARY GUIDE
Grades 1 – 3
School Year: 2021/22
Job Opportunity: Lower Elementary Guide (ages 6-9; grades 1-3)
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Shining Stars Montessori Academy Public Charter School’s mission is to offer a quality Montessori education infused with culturally inclusive principles to guide children to develop to their fullest potential.
Shining Stars Montessori is seeking experienced elementary-trained Montessori Guides/Teachers to join our school family. The school currently has four Lower Elementary classrooms. Persons in this position may be asked to work both virtually and in person.
Major areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
• Understanding and promoting the Shining Stars Montessori Academy PCS vision, mission, and goals to students, parents, and community.
• Deliver the Primary Montessori Curriculum with fidelity while infusing culturally relevant practices and ensuring that state learning standards are being met;
• Develop and administer an authentic Montessori Lower Elementary curriculum and assessments consistent with accredited Montessori training and aligned with the District of Columbia’s Common Core State Standards.
• Conduct daily observation/assessments of student learning, and modify instructional methods to fit individual student needs, including for students with special needs, English Language Learners and/or advanced learners.
• Organize and maintain a system for accurate and complete record-keeping/reporting for all student activities, including but not limited to: achievement and attendance as required by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) and Public Charter School Board procedures
• Participate in ongoing professional development, staff meetings and recommended conferences, training programs, courses, and other areas of professional growth as required by the school.
• Hold a minimum of two formal conferences yearly with parents to effectively communicate student progress.
• Communicate regularly with parents to promote the school’s mission, objectives, and policies and to foster an environment of open communication.
• Be available to the Classroom/Teaching Assistant to provide opportunities to share questions and observations.
• Partake in the school’s cycle of evaluation;
• Participate in the establishment and maintenance of an atmosphere of collegial support and adherence to professional standards.
• Model integrity, curiosity, responsibility, creativity, and respect for all persons as well as an appreciation for racial, cultural, religious, linguistic, learning diversity; and
• Be available to assist with additional duties as assigned.
Education & Qualifications
• Elementary certification (ages 6-9) from a Montessori Accreditation Committee for Teacher Education (MACTE) approved appropriate to the age level being taught. Candidates may be at the Practicum stage of Montessori certification, however, full certification is preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to the teaching assignment required.
• Valid Licensure or certification in Elementary Education and/ a passing score on Praxis I and II highly preferred.
• Advanced degrees, multiple credentials (e.g., Special Education, ESOL, etc.), Spanish or French fluency a plus;
• CPR and First Aid certification preferred.
• Teaching experience in a variety of instructional settings, including working with students from diverse populations and a commitment to cultural empowerment and culturally inclusive practices preferred;
• Commitment to equity