ThistleWaithe Learning Center, Inc. – South Salem, NY
ThistleWaithe Learning Center has provided the highest quality Montessori learning environment in Northern Westchester since opening our doors in 2002. At ThistleWaithe’s South Salem location, 125 children, ranging from 18 months to 6 years of age, experience the joy of discovery and seek challenges that unlock the mysteries of our world. Our 6 acre campus brims with natural wonder, including a pond, vegetable and herb garden, and adventure playground. Much of our teaching involves connecting children meaningfully with nature’s abundance and we view the outdoor environment as another classroom.
Committed to building habits of excellence among the youngest learners, ThistleWaithe also bolsters the skills and knowledge of its talented staff members in order to meet the vast, changing needs of the children. We design curriculum to ensure that each child leaves ThistleWaithe with strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and environmental stewardship skills.
ThistleWaithe Learning Center seeks an enthusiastic, creative, Montessori-trained primary lead teacher who is committed to equipping our learners with skills to navigate skillfully through our ever-complex world. This is a full-day position, following the Katonah-Lewisboro School District’s yearly calendar. Apply online today to embark on this journey.
The Primary Lead Teacher will:
• Design, prepare, and maintain the classroom environment and maintain ongoing assessment of physical/curricular needs of the environment.
• Design and update classroom curriculum in conjunction with guidelines set forth by School Director.
• Observe and evaluate students’ performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
• Maintain accurate and continuous record-keeping of classroom to include daily attendance, anecdotal records of each child, assessments, and developmental progress.
• Maintain communication with parents regarding general classroom curriculum, projects, and school events via e-mail and monthly newsletters.
• Organize weekly or as-needed staff meetings with assistant teachers.
• Organize and complete one formal parent-teacher conference annually and create year-end student progress reports.
• Complete evaluations of students provided by school-district special education committees or private therapeutic agencies and attend school district special education committee meetings as advocate for child/family.
• Must meet New York State OCFS screening requirements.
• Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field with a minimum of twelve (12) credits in early childhood. Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
• Montessori certification from AMS or AMI or another Montessori-credentialed, degree-granting institution.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Commitment to professional development including NYS-mandated continuing education courses.
• Love of nature a plus.
• Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
*Salary dependent on experience and level of education.
We offer a strong & competitive benefit package that includes the following:
• Comprehensive healthcare coverage
• Accident, Disability, and Worker’s Comp coverage
• A 401(k) plan
• Paid vacation, sick time and company paid holidays
Submit resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
ThistleWaithe Learning Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.