Start Date: Summer 2020
Located outside Washington, DC, Arlington Montessori House is a highly respected, AMI-recognized school serving children 2 ½ – 6. Established as a non-profit in 1991, the school is comprised of two charming houses, with spacious playground and garden. In the heart of Arlington, AMH is a sanctuary for the development of the whole child.
Our community encourages partnerships between school and family, working together for the benefit of the children. We are a practicing environment in which everyone is respected, valued, engaged and challenged. Deep appreciation for authentic Montessori has resulted in thriving children, dedicated staff, and supportive parents. In its 28th year, AMH has plans for expansion to include new classrooms and a toddler program.
Please visit our website: www.arlingtonmontessori.com
The Head of School at AMH will be an embodiment of Montessori philosophy, fostering an environment of grace and courtesy. They will be a collaborative leader who builds trust, delegates wisely, and models the behaviors that reflect the values of AMH. As mentor and manager, they must balance flexibility and compassion with the ability to make tough decisions.
The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver and strong communicator with leadership, operational, budgeting and team-building experience. They must have excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills, adept at managing the needs of the whole community.
The school has clearly articulated goals, including an unwavering commitment to authentic AMI Montessori education. This presents the new Head with an opportunity to guide the vision, while operating within an extremely supportive parent community.
The school currently serves 56 children through two primary classrooms and has 9 full-time staff. An experienced administrative team provides strong operational support. The Head reports to the Board of Directors, whose responsibilities are strategic planning and hiring the Head of School. The parent cooperative provides support to the school through event planning, facilities maintenance and fundraising help.
Compensation includes competitive salary, annual bonuses, generous vacation and sick leave, health and retirement benefits and training opportunities (on-site and conferences). There will be a supportive onboarding process throughout the first year to ensure the new Head’s success.
· Knowledge and experience in the education field with deep familiarity with Montessori pedagogy required.
· 3-5 years of leadership experience, including team building, strongly preferred.
· Montessori credential highly desired with preference for AMI diploma; if not credentialed, candidate must meet Virginia’s Program Director requirements.
· B.A. at a minimum with preference for advanced degrees in education or a related field.
Candidates will submit the following to Erin Freas-Smith, Board President, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter addressed to Search Committee expressing interest and qualifications
2. Current resume
3. Statement of educational leadership philosophy (1-2 pages)
4. Two writing samples on an educational topic (can be school newsletter/communications)
5. Five references (email address and telephone)
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Candidates’ engagement with the search is confidential. Questions about the position may go to Lisa Sarafidis, Managing Director, Metro Consulting at email@example.com.