At the Academy of Thought and Industry we are creating a deeply motivating adolescent program that inspires and empowers students to live meaningful lives. It’s an important and exciting challenge that requires tremendous creativity and ingenuity.
We are hiring a Middle School STEM Teacher for the Fall 2022 school year ,with opportunities to start earlier. Apply today and join our wonderful Austin community!
As our ATI Middle School STEM Teacher, you will deliver an exceptional learning experience for students. Responsibilities include:
– Collaborating with ATI’s programmatic experts to expand and give regular feedback on ATI’s curriculum
– Facilitating students’ progression through your designated math and science course(s) using the Altitude Learning platform, a next generation learning platform designed specifically to enable individualized, student-led learning
– Offering regular, substantive feedback on their work
– Assessing, tracking, and reporting on student progress
– Communicating with families in support of each student’s learning
– Providing 1:1 coaching support to a cohort of students
– Establishing a strong, supportive community that upholds ATI’s core values both in and outside of class
– Rapidly innovating and iterating on the school model with ATI’s program experts and your school colleagues
Our courses focus on truly understanding the foundations of math and science. We use a combination of Montessori resources and proprietary curriculum to bring math and science concepts to life, to enable students to see them in the world around them. This is facilitated both by a historical perspective on the development and application of math, and by an unapologetic focus on how math gets translated by modern microchips into an extremely flexible logic, viz. computer programming, that serves as an algorithmic version of human thought. We take a similar approach to Life Science, Biology, Earth and Space Science and Physics!
Our ideal Science and Math candidate is a highly capable, experienced educator of teenagers, a curious and engaging Science expert, and a thoughtful, kind human being. We know that’s asking a lot! We’re looking for an innovative, intellectual mentor for our students who loves teaching and learning science (the broader the better). We are best suited for educators who care deeply about adolescent development and are inspired to be a part of building a better holistic educational experience for teenagers.
We’re looking for someone who is:
– Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
– Dedicated to contributing to an innovative online curriculum
– An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of adolescents, dedicated to helping them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
– An expert in the study and application of the various middle school Math and Science subjects
– Passionate about developing student problem-solving skills and mindsets and their ability to make connections to the real world
– Deeply motivated to fostering autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
– Has significant experience and deep commitment to working with adolescents
– An excellent communicator in speech and writing
– Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
You may or may not come from a traditional science or math teaching background – you may have taught in alternative or innovative schools or programs. We are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences that align to our community and student aspirations. If you do come from a traditional education background, you’re seeking to build something different, to take your teaching practice in innovative directions and to develop deep personal relationships with students and peers. If you have experience with Montessori pedagogy, please let us know in your cover letter.
We strongly encourage and welcome people from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity and join our unique community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.