St. Catherine's Montessori
Elementary Guide Job Purpose:
To guide the children in their growth toward independence and self-discipline in a nurturing, loving way by modeling respect and creating a culture of peace. The expectation is to demonstrate an attitude of service and contribute to a cooperative atmosphere within the whole school community by living a Christ-like spirit.
• Prepare the classroom environment, materials and equipment; ensure that all materials are in good repair and all sets complete. Develop and make materials when needed.
• Plan and implement Montessori curriculum. Give engaging presentations with Montessori materials that children will want to use on their own. Establish a record keeping system to track the children’s progress.
• Supervise the classroom assistant and collaborate with the assistant to maintain the optimal learning environment.
• Record daily attendance of the students.
• Assist children to progress at their own pace and gradually discover their potential while helping them to help themselves. Create a calm and joyful atmosphere in an environment that allows each child to connect to productive work.
• Have a positive and open attitude toward children and respect them as individuals. Facilitate a respectful environment for children and adults by advocating conflict resolution and Grace and Courtesy lessons.
• Foster growth towards independence and social responsibility.
• Ensure respectful and open lines of communication with parents. Be available to parents through written communication, setting up conferences and educate parents in the Montessori philosophy.
• Assist in the planning and maintenance of the outdoor environment/work with naturalist.
• Assess prospective children when they visit.
• Support and implement the philosophy of Catholic Education. Give evidence of living the Gospel values and participate in building a faith community.
• Comply with all continuing education requirements.
• Attend all faculty meeting, scheduled staff events, and school sponsored events.
Believe in, communicate, and support the mission of the school.