AMI Summit Communiqué, Sept 2013
The Summit Stewarding Council met by teleconference to continue the work that began at the AMI Summit USA. The group offered Virginia McHugh Goodwin our sincere congratulations on the announcement of her retirement and expressed deep gratitude for her 28 years of service for Montessori.
The unifying purpose of the Summit Stewarding Council is to bring together the entire AMI constituency to increase the number of children across class and culture that participate in a quality Montessori program.
One vision that emerged from the AMI Summit USA was to “create communication pathways to enhance the dissemination of information on authentic Montessori principles and practices.” The Stewarding Council continues to investigate technology solutions that will establish these communication pathways as the Summit work continues. A discussion was initiated to establish how this communication infrastructure could be organized collaboratively for success.
Short-term action items identified during the teleconference include:
1) Re-connecting with Summit participants to learn about the actions that are underway that will lead toward increasing the number of children across class and culture that participate in a quality Montessori program
2) Supporting and empowering the state coalitions who are advocating on behalf of Montessori to address urgent public policy concerns.
3) The AMI Affiliates within the US will be meeting shortly to continue their communication and collaborative work
The teleconference concluded with general agreement that the grassroots work for Montessori across the United States is undeniably strong. The Summit Stewarding Council will continue to identify mechanisms for communicating and elevating our efficiency with the best interest of children at the core of our work.
Those who participated in the teleconference were:
· AMI Executive Director: Lynne Lawrence
· AMI/USA: Virginia McHugh Goodwin
· NAMTA: Jacquie Maughan
· EAA: Chris Trostel and Paula Gibson-Smith
· MAA: Sue Pritzker and Kathy Minardi
· 0-3 Trainer: Judi Orion
· 6-12 Trainer: Kay Baker
· Congress Committee: Jennifer Davidson
· Assigned AMI Staff Support Person: Megan Tyne
· Montessori Parent: Ly Thompson
· Montessori Alumni: Amanda Halbach
· Montessori for Social Change: Kathleen Guinan
· Policy and Advocacy: Laura Shaw
· Research: Steve Hughes
· AMI: Annette Haines
· NAMTA: David Kahn
· 3-6 Trainer: Molly O’Shaughnessy